Farnhamville Public Library
Board of Trustee's Meeting
November 5, 2014
Call to Order:
Roll Call: All present
Read and approved minutes
Checking: $3,376.05 Enrich Iowa: $5.00
Money Market: $2,547.68 CD: $4506.09
· Flu shots were held twice during this month on October 8th and 30th. More than 26 people got flu shots at this location.
· On October 20th, our Spiders Galore program brought 24 children and 10 adults to our library. Mr. Anderlick, an 8th grade Southeast Valley science teacher, brought his female tarantula to share with the audience. Jill Mim from Calhoun County Extension Services read a book to the group. We split the kids into 1st graders and below in one group and 2nd graders and older in another to make spider gliders. We finished with snacks made from crackers, cheese, and pretzels to represent spiders.
· A Hello Kitty party was held on October 24th. 15 children and 4 adults attended. I read a Hello Kitty book to the children and we decorated Hello Kitty cookies. After reading another Hello Kitty book, the children ate their cookies along with pink lemonade.
· Our Fright Night party was held October 27th. 28 children and 16 adults attended. First, children listened to funny and scary Halloween stories. We then played Halloween games and did a craft as one option, as well. Mummy dogs, brownies, Halloween cupcakes, and Halloween finger Jell-O was served with drink boxes.
· Jim Duncan, the elementary principal of Prairie Valley called Kris to see if the library and the elementary could do some coordinating with a summer reading program the elementary must develop for next summer. He is looking for the library to be a resource to check out books to students, since the elementary library is closed during the summer. He wanted to have the program in our library for about 20 students for several hours several times a week. However, Kris told him we did not have the room to accommodate that many students for that length of time. Kris did tell him she would be willing to bring books to the school if the program would be held there. He will get back to Kris when he finds out more about the program.
· Donna Brand informed Kris that she will be spending the winter away from home this year so we cannot use her as a sub when Kris goes to Australia. However, Charlene Vote has volunteered to take over the library during this time. Kris thinks that this would work better, since she lives just a few blocks from the library. Kris thinks she will be willing to sub for her throughout the school year, but is gone much of the summer. We would need to find a summer substitute for when Kris is gone.
· Kris opened up the topic for discussion of having an online catalog available for the patrons of the library.
Library Use Report:
Adult Books: 16 Adult Books: 3
Teen Books: 3 Teen Books:
Juvenile Books: 8 Juvenile Books:
Children’s Books: 18 Children’s Books: 8
Audio CDs: Audio CDs:
DVDs/Blu-ray: 18 DVDs/Blu-ray:
Adult Books: 76
Teen Books: 7
Juvenile Books: 29
Children’s Books: 119
Audio CDs: 4
Digital Editions: 18
Circulation Total: 364
Petty Cash $8.09 Copy Money $12.70
Bills: Sherri signed the bills.
Building – Kris
Budget – Karilyn
Personnel – Cherri
Technology – Jessica
Goals/LongRange Planning – Lori
· Dehumidifier - Looking on Craig’s list for one that is under $50.
· Substitute director – Sherri will ask Mrs. Brand for her key and we will train Shar Vote for the substitute position.
· Christmas Coffee – Held on December 20th from 10:00 to 2:00. Everyone will need to bring goodies.
· Website addition – Kris was approached about having a connection on our website to a consumer report/comparisons of furnace and air conditioners. Lori and Kris will be looking for policies for this subject.
Next Meeting: December 5, 2014 at 6:00 P.M.